6.06.2006

Must be an election year - I smell a smokescreen

Dubya insists that a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage is necessary to protect our children and the sanctity of marriage. I'm a happily married heterosexual father of two children and I find Dubya's argument not only ridiculous but also dangerous in that it diverts attention from the real and imminent threats that face my children. Not to mention the fact that, for the life of me, I can't see how same-sex marriage will affect my 20 year old marriage.

Every day, the global warming crisis becomes worse as our government fails to take any real action against it. Every day, HIV infects more of our young people as the government adheres to its failed abstinence-only approach. Every day, al-Qaida recruits more terrorists as our government pursues its imperialist, neocon agenda. If Dubya really cared about the safety of my children, he would address these issues.

Far from being any kind of effort to protect children, Dubya's support of the amendment is a transparent and cynical attempt to improve his percentages in the approval polls.

If you want an idea of what Dubya was ignoring while spreading his hate, go here.

No comments: