5.25.2006

Dixie Chicks slam Bush again



The Dixie Chicks are criticizing Dubya again, not to mention your average country music fan.

Natalie Maines, who once said she was ashamed to be from the same state as Bush, slammed him in this week's Time magazine.

"I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever," she said.

Martie Maguire, meanwhile, took a not-so-subtle shot at Top 40 country fans.

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

Now I've never been much of a country fan other than having a soft spot in my heart for Willie Nelson. I do, however, plan to buy the new Chicks CD when it is released tomorrow. I feel a need to support artists who have the guts to stand up to this administration. I love Neil Young's new CD "Living With War" but it isn't too surprising that he would be critical of Dubya. When a country act goes againt the God, guns and beer crowd, that takes courage.

UPDATE: I purchased "Taking The Long Way" on Tuesday and I think it's excellent. The harmonies are simply beautiful and I get a kick out of "Not Ready To make Nice".

No comments: