5.10.2006

Extended tax cuts in spite of dismal poll numbers

The Washington Post leads with House and Senate Republican leaders settling on a $70 billion package to extend tax cuts, primarily adding another two years to the tax cut on capital gains.

The New York Times leads with a poll showing Dubya's approval rating down to 31 percent, the same number USA Today had a few days ago (though the Times doesn't deign to mention outside polls). Seventy percent of respondents in the NYT's poll said the country is heading in the wrong direction, the worst numbers on that question since the Times began asking 23 years ago.

It's truly amazing to me that no matter how much water fills the ship Dubya still thinks it's smooth sailing and is more determined than ever to "stay the course".

3 comments:

koalabear said...

One of the primary reasons why Bush's poll numbers are so low is because he promised his base hardcore tax cuts and he has yet to deliver them (10 year sunsets don't count with his base). New tax cuts are not "staying the course", they're switching to the right course. Don't take my word for it, however. The truth will be in the news on November 8.

Tom said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp...6050900651.html

Middle-income households would receive an average tax cut of $20 from the agreement, according to the joint Urban Institute-Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center, while 0.02 percent of households with incomes over $1 million would receive average tax cuts of $42,000.

What are you going to do with your 20 bucks?

koalabear said...

I'm going to send it to the Georgia GOP, since I wasn't counting on it anyway. I would send it to help kids with cancer or something, but those sick little bastards already get enough from me, and I'm past maxed out on deductable donations for this year already.

I don't know about the rest of America, but it just so happens that a few millionaires are conspiring to keep me and a few hundred others gainfully employed, and since I've already gotten my raise this year, an extra $42K would likely go to employing one or two more. Even if it's the rich bastard's fifth maid or something.