3.23.2005

Another worthless response from my worthless Senator

I can never seem to get a straight answer out of this guy. The reponse he gave me to my latest letter barely scratched the surface of my inquiry. This is the same guy who conducted a smear campaign against Sen. Max Cleland and won as a result. Former Sen. Cleland lost two legs and an arm in Viet Nam but "Tax-me" Chambliss ran ads stating that Cleland didn't have the courage to lead in the Senate while splashing photos of Cleland and Bin Laden on the screen. The funny thing is, Chambliss is a classic example of a chicken hawk. He beats the war drum although he has never served in the armed forces. In my opinion, he's the one who doesn't have the courage to lead.

Here's his response:
March 21, 2005

Mr. Xxxx Xxxxx
XXX Xxxxx Xx
Xxxxxxx, Georgia xxxxx

Dear Mr. Xxxxx:

Thank you for your letter regarding Talon News reporter Jeff Gannon, and the controversy surrounding his presence at White House press conferences. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 10, 2005 White House Press Secretary, Scott McClellan, addressed the issue of Jeff Gannon with the White House Press Corps. Mr. McClellan explained that Jeff Gannon had been issued a daily pass to the White House for the past two years by providing the necessary credentials and information - he represented a news organization that is published regularly, provided a full name, Social Security number, and birth date. Mr. McClellan went on to explain that President Bush did not know Mr. Gannon and the White House did not "plant" Mr. Gannon to ask "easy" questions at the President's press briefings.

Additionally, Conrad Everett, the deputy assistant director of the Secret Service, made clear in a letter to Representatives Louise Slaughter (D-NY) and John Conyers (D-MI), that in regards to Mr. Jeff Gannon, he was given clearance under his legal name, James Guckert, and there was no deviation from Secret Service standards and procedures.

It is unlikely this issue will come before the Senate; however, I appreciate hearing your concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to be in touch if I may ever be of assistance to you.



Sincerely,

Saxby Chambliss
United States Senate

No comments: