5.09.2005

From the "Why Do I Bother?" Department

Growing up I always heard "write to your representatives if you want something done". I've made a habit of doing just that. I estimate that I write AT LEAST 10 or 15 letters a year. Some of my favorite responses in terms of double talk and gobbledygook were from Newt Gingrich.

Recently I've had several occasions to write to Sen. Saxby Chambliss, Sen. Johnny Isakson and Rep. Phil Gingrey. Chambliss is the guy who never served in the military but won his election by trashing a true military hero, Max Cleland, as being in line with Bin Laden. Yes Saxby is truly scum.

My most recent letter urged Sen. Chambliss to refuse the nomination of John Bolton. Saxby always writes back but it's always the same. In short he says "It really doesn't matter what your opinion is. I'm in Washington now an I know what's best." If you've never had the pleasure of receiving a response from a slimey southern red state politician, I'm sharing mine with you.

Here is his response:
May 6, 2005

Mr. John Xxxxx
XXX Xxxxx Drive
Xxxxxxxx, Georgia xxxxx

Dear Mr. Xxxxx:

Thank you for your letter of concern regarding President Bush's nomination of John Bolton to be the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations (U.N.). I appreciate hearing from you.

On March 7, 2005, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice announced the nomination of John Bolton to be the United States Permanent Representative to the United Nations. U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan expressed his congratulations and has said he looks forward to working with him. Mr. Bolton's nomination awaits confirmation by the Senate.

I support Mr. Bolton for several reasons. First, Mr. Bolton believes in a strong and more effective U.N., and has consistently argued that the U.S. must take the lead in helping to reform the U.N. I believe this is the only way the U.N. can fulfill its original promise of promoting international peace and security. Second, Mr. Bolton has promoted effective multilateral solutions to real world problems. He was President Bush's point person in designing the Proliferation Security Initiative. He also served as the principal U.S. negotiator for the Treaty of Moscow, and was a pioneer in helping to construct the G-8 Global Partnership to secure dangerous technologies and stop the spread of dangerous weapons. Finally, John Bolton believes in frank and honest diplomacy. He has not shied away from naming rogue states that violate their international commitments to treaties -- not calling attention to these violators is too dangerous in a post 9-11 world.

In an organization that has been riddled in scandal and corruption, John Bolton will help reform the U.N. and make its mission more effective. I am confident John Bolton is the right man for the job.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to be in touch if I may ever be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Saxby Chambliss
United States Senate

1 comment:

Tom said...

It's more fun to write to "lesser" politicians. It makes them feel important and you're more likely to get a response that isn't canned.

Can't wait to hear back from the Kansas school board psycho on the letter I wrote this morning.. lol